[GRASS5] [bug #1885] (grass) error running grass5

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed May 21 15:19:56 EDT 2003

Request Tracker wrote:

> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=1885

> I keep getting the following error when I try to run grass5. The error
> I get is as follows:
>
> Starting GRASS
> ERROR: LOCATION_NAME not set

If you still get this error after fixing the other problem, delete the
file ~/.grassrc5 before trying again.

> 'xterm': unknown terminal type
> Error opening terminal: xterm

Which version of GRASS are you using? The 5.0.0 and 5.0.1 binaries
may have inadvertently used termcap, so you might need an entry for
xterm in /etc/termcap. 5.0.2 should use terminfo, in which case you
should have a terminfo entry for xterm (i.e. a file called
/usr/lib/terminfo/x/xterm or /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm).

To be safe, ensure that you have complete termcap and terminfo
databases installed. I recall that Slackware used to provide a choice
between minimal or full termcap/terminfo databases; if this is still
the case, ensure that you have the full version.