[GRASS5] [bug #1885] (grass) error running grass5

Wolfgang Lueck wolfluck at mweb.co.za
Wed May 21 17:10:42 EDT 2003

Hi Micah

This is a typical problem new users run into.
When you start grass for the first time you are required to enter:

Database:eg. /home/user/grassdata (the path and directory where you have
stored your grass data.

Location: spearfish (this is the grass Location or folder containing
layers that are associated with one another, like in a Geodatabase of
ARC/GIS)

Mapset: PERMANENT (this is like a subfolder to which the data is devided
up according to ownership)

After this first run, the variables you entered are stored in the file
.grassrc5 and is used when you restart grass, listing the variables
within a nice graphic user environment.
should the data have been removed or you have entered the wrong
variables, you can delete the file and run the initial grass session
again.

So these variables have nothing to do with where your programm is
located within your directorary structure as you have suspected.

Greetings Wolfgang

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 20:39, Request Tracker wrote:
> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=1885
>
> Subject: error running grass5
>
> Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
> grass obtained from: Other (CDROM etc)
> grass binary for platfograss5 at grass.itc.itrm: Downloaded precompiled Binaries
>
> Hello,
>      I keep getting the following error when I try to run grass5. The error I get is as follows:
>
> Starting GRASS
> ERROR: LOCATION_NAME not set
> 'xterm': unknown terminal type
> Error opening terminal: xterm
>
> I have the binaries in /opt/grass. I have tried to set LOCATION_NAME=/opt/grass and LOCATION_HOME=/opt/grass and I am still having problems. If I need to set those variables to something like /opt/grass/bin please let me know. Also, please let me know if I need to download a different binary, I had a hard time downloading from grass.itc.it so I downloaded from a usa mirror if I remember correctly. I have slackware linux version 9.0.
>
> Thank You,
> Micah J. Kimbrough
> The Community Science Center

Wolfgang Lueck