[GRASS5] xwininfo error on Mac OS X

Nik Sands Nik.Sands at utas.edu.au
Tue May 27 01:04:56 EDT 2003

Thanks Glynn - It was only after I read your email and killed X11 and
ran the "Wish Shell" that I realised it wasn't in fact using X11.  It's
not always obvious in Mac OS X.

So the obvious follow-up questions are:

1.  Why isn't GRASS for Mac OS X using the standard unix X11 Tcl/Tk by
default (I've got X11 installed and running other applications on it)?

2.  What am I supposed to run instead of "tcltkgrass" on Mac OS X?

Thanks in advance,
Nik.

On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 02:32  PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Nik Sands wrote:
>
>> I'm new to GRASS and am having some trouble getting it to run on Mac
>> OS
>> X.
>>
>> I've installed TclTkAqua-8.4.2, and grass5.0.2 successfully, and can
>> start GRASS okay.
>>
>> However, when I enter the "tcltkgrass &" command, I get the following
>> output:
>>
>> ----------------------------------
>> Error in startup script: xwininfo: error: No such window with id
>> 0xec0f08.
>>      while executing
>> "exec xwininfo -id [winfo id .w_g] | grep -i Corners"
>
> "tcltkgrass" is written for a Unix/X11 version of Tcl/Tk; using it
> with other versions of Tcl/Tk will result in errors.
>
> In this particular case, tcltkgrass expects "winfo id ..." to return
> the ID of an X window (which it does with a Unix/X11 version of
> Tcl/Tk).
>
> --
> Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net>

NIK SANDS - Systems Administrator