[GRASS5] GRASS5.1: proportionate circles

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Thu May 29 03:58:38 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 28 May 2003 18:23, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Moritz Lennert said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a vector map with attributes in a dbf file. There are 1165 entities
> > in the map and in the dbf file. I created a column COMET directly in the
> > dbf file and populated with values (actually 60 entities have an integer
> > value different from 0).
> >
> > I would like to display a map with circles proportionate to the COMET
> > value. I tried to use d.vect.chart as follows:
> >
> > d.vect.chart map=cp_clean columns=COMET sizecol=COMET
> >
> > This begins to draw the circles but then uses up almost all of my 512MB of
> > RAM, giving me an 'OUT OF MEMORY!' error message after some time.

I don't see any obvious memory leakage in code. Is the memory consumed
by module or dbf driver? Could you try to display 1) charts with sizecol
where ALL values are > 0, 2) use ctype=bar

> > What could be the problem ? Is d.vect.chart the right tool for what I wish
> > to do ?

Right tool would be sizecol option in d.vect (not yet available).

> Replying to myself for a follow-up: since GRASS5.1 does not have site data
> anymore, I cannot use the 'size_att #' option in ps.map, and I cannot see
> any alternative in the vpoints section.

sizecol for vpoints is not implemented yet.

> So d.vect.chart is really the only current option in 5.1 ?

Yes, I am not capable to do everything so quickly.

Radim