[GRASS5] GRASS5.1: proportionate circles

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu May 29 18:07:44 EDT 2003

Radim Blazek said:
> On Wednesday 28 May 2003 18:23, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>> Moritz Lennert said:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have a vector map with attributes in a dbf file. There are 1165
>> entities
>> > in the map and in the dbf file. I created a column COMET directly in
>> the
>> > dbf file and populated with values (actually 60 entities have an
>> integer
>> > value different from 0).
>> >
>> > I would like to display a map with circles proportionate to the COMET
>> > value. I tried to use d.vect.chart as follows:
>> >
>> > d.vect.chart map=cp_clean columns=COMET sizecol=COMET
>> >
>> > This begins to draw the circles but then uses up almost all of my
>> 512MB of
>> > RAM, giving me an 'OUT OF MEMORY!' error message after some time.
>
> I don't see any obvious memory leakage in code. Is the memory consumed
> by module or dbf driver?

The memory is consumed by the module.

> Could you try to display 1) charts with sizecol
> where ALL values are > 0, 2) use ctype=bar

1) works beautifully (except for a little line at 90° right from the top)
2) works beautifully (including with 0 values)
:-)

>> > What could be the problem ? Is d.vect.chart the right tool for what I
>> wish
>> > to do ?
>
> Right tool would be sizecol option in d.vect (not yet available).
>
>> Replying to myself for a follow-up: since GRASS5.1 does not have site
>> data
>> anymore, I cannot use the 'size_att #' option in ps.map, and I cannot
>> see
>> any alternative in the vpoints section.
>
> sizecol for vpoints is not implemented yet.
>
>> So d.vect.chart is really the only current option in 5.1 ?
>
> Yes, I am not capable to do everything so quickly.

I hope I didn't sound too impatient or negative. On the contrary, I love
what I've seen in 5.1 so far so much that I don't want to go back to 5.0
:-)
So, please don't take my remarks as criticism, I just needed to know since
I will have to do some maps for work and wanted to know whether I could
already use 5.1 or go back to 5.0.

Now I know that it works in principle, except for print output other than
by screenshot.

Great work !

Moritz