[GRASS5] Oups! Problem in CVS

Thierry Laronde tlaronde at polynum.com
Thu Nov 6 16:05:49 EST 2003

[Stupid question: what is the policy for email message to the list?
Do people prefer to be emailed directly + Cc to the list for the
record, or is it OK to simply send to the list ---low traffic indeed]

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 12:09:29PM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:

> A large part of the problem is the size of the GRASS code base (larger
> than XFree86) relative to the number of users, meaning that there is a
> lot of code which is hardly ever exercised.

IMHO the main priority is indeed to decrease the size of the code.

And this doesn't mean "loosing" features.

There are redundancies (DBMI versus src.garden for example).
There are programs using several copies of the (originally) same file,
copies which have diverged [one example that I know ;)]

./src.garden/grass.postgresql/pg.in.dbf/pgdump.c
./src.garden/grass.postgresql/v.in.arc.pg/pgdump.c
./src.garden/grass.postgresql/v.in.shape.pg/pgdump.c

=> this should be in a library

etc.

And perhaps applying a kind of Amdhal's law to identify the primitives
really used/ really needed.

But I don't claim saying anything new.
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde at polynum.org>