[GRASS5] Oups! Problem in CVS

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 18:37:04 EST 2003

> > A large part of the problem is the size of the GRASS code base
> > (larger than XFree86) relative to the number of users, meaning that
> > there is a lot of code which is hardly ever exercised.
>
> IMHO the main priority is indeed to decrease the size of the code.

Hopefully the natural place for this to be done is with the gradual code
migration to 5.7; vastly reorganizing the 5.3/HEAD branch would cause
many more headaches than it would solve, IMO. That along with (5.4)
being a dead-end in the code, I don't see the point in spending the time
and trouble on it during 5.3..

> => this should be in a library

I'd again plug for a stats library. This could be based on r.series or R
code, and GRASS modules could be rewritten to use it at the same time as
they are (properly) migrated to 5.7. I'm happy to fill in some functions
if someone more capable sets out the framework, although I think it
should really be written (or at least audited) by a real statistician,
as statistics is often a world of important subtleties that
non-statisticians (ie I) may overlook ..

just some thoughts,
Hamish