[GRASS5] Grass 5 new releases

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Nov 9 12:09:11 EST 2003

I read through the discussion yesterday of which version(s) of GRASS 5
should be released next. Given Helena's comments I decided to be bold
(for me) and try to compile GRASS 5.3 from the current CVS snapshot.
I'm running  Mac OSX 10.2.8.

After puzzling over what turned out to be a syntax problem in my
configuration parameters, I succeeded.

I've run through a variety of trials using the Spearfish sample data
and everything seems to be working fine.

If it would help speed up the release to make it easier for more people
to test 5.3, I am happy to make the OSX binaries available for
distribution. I can explain how I configured the compilation, and could
recompile it if something I did could cause problems for others. I'd
probably need a bit of help in how to package up the binaries properly
for distribution. Also, I haven't the foggiest idea of how to make the
shell script that always seems to accompany binary distributions
(though it basically seems to be an ungzip+untar command accompanied by
a variety of measures to check if a system has the proper
resources/directories to install and run grass). However, if its simply
a matter of editing the 5.0.2 script a bit, I do it with guidance.

IMHO: As an aside and in response to the concern over the GRASS user
base and attracting programmers to the team, there may be considerable
'pent-up-demand' for GRASS on Mac OSX platforms. After making GIS
packages available for Mac users in the 1990's, both ESRI and MapInfo
abandoned the Mac platform several years later. GRASS has a golden
opportunity to expand its user base here. I am certainly encouraging
this with the Mac users I interact with. Apple lists GRASS on its OSX
web site. However, while learning GRASS is no harder (or easier) than
ArcView or MapInfo, installing it is by a long shot. While I think Macs
have a considerably larger installed base than any other particular
Unix flavor, most Mac users are not Unix savvy. Installing from the
terminal via a shell script is an adventure fraught with trepidation
for most of them; compiling from source would not even be imagined by
most. (The same is true of most MS Windows users of course.) Ideally,
GRASS binaries for OSX should be released in package format (I probably
have the tools to do this, but have not yet used them if I do) like the
version that Open OSX has produced, and the versions of PostgreSQL and
MySQL by Marc Liyanage. X11 should probably accompany it as an option,
though it this will be less necessary in the future as Apple now
packages X11 with its OS. Just some thoughts...

Un saludo cordial
Michael Barton
C. Michael Barton, Professor
Department of Anthropology