[GRASS5] release announcement for grass 5.0.3

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Nov 11 04:08:00 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:54:18PM -0500, Scott W Mitchell wrote:
> I'm trying to answer Markus' call for help on the picky details of
> finishing the release of 5.0.3.  I'm editing the 5.0.2 release
> announcement to create a version for 5.0.3, which is mostly trivial,
> except for the paragraph describing development branches - it was
> written before the new roadmap.
>
> So.  What should it say ?
>
> Right now it is (I've changed 5.2.x to 5.4.x, but then stopped to seek
> guidance):
>
> "
> reliability.
> Major changes in the vector engine and attribute management system are
> under
> development and will reach productional status with the next stable
> series,
> planned as GRASS 5.4.x.<br>
> A great deal of code for GRASS 5.4.x has been already implemented in the
> experimental series numbered <a href=../grass51/index.html>5.1.x</a>
> since
> December 2001.
> "

That is 5.8.x now.
We probably should rephrase it to say the following

	GRASS 5.0.3 only fixes major bugs.
	There are no further scheduled releases in the 5.0.x series.
	Exception might be made for critical bug fixes.

	The next planned stable release is 5.4.0. The corresponding
	development series 5.3.x features improvements in ...

	Note that the majorly improved vector engine
	and attribute management systems are already in the
	experimental 5.7.x line.

	We always look for testers, and developers
	helping us to maintain a  faster release cycle.

Just a suggestion.

> It seems to me that "a great deal of code" is now in 5.3 in the nearer
> term for 5.4, whereas the 5.7 is yet another plane of progress and
> "wishes"... do we portray both of those in a release announcement, or
> ... ?  In addition, it's probably a good time to give the extra
> details.  Maybe something like:
>
> " The general focus of the GRASS 5.0.x series has been stability and
> reliability.  5.0.3 will be the last release in this line except for
> critical bugs.  Development on the release branch of GRASS is
> continuing as 5.3.x, for eventual production release as 5.4.x.<br>
>
> Major changes in the vector engine and attribute management system are
> also under development in the experimental series <a
> href="http://grass.itc.it/grass51/index.html">5.7.x</a>, which will
> culminate as 6.x.

I still believe that this should be 5.8.x.

> Details of this release plan can be viewed in the <a
> href="roadmap.html">Development Roadmap</a>."
>
> I'm sorry, I didn't follow / remember every detail of the recent
> mailing list discussions of release numbering, so my wording may not
> reflect reality well.  I have simply tried to reflect the roadmap web
> document.

Your understanding seems fine to me.