[GRASS5] release announcement for grass 5.0.3

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Tue Nov 11 14:13:19 EST 2003

Last chance for suggestions / objections:

(html/formatted version temporarily available at
http://rideau.carleton.ca/~smitch/announce_grass503.html )

The GRASS Development Team announces:
GRASS GIS 5.0.3 released 11 November 2003
A new bugfix release of GRASS 5.0.x has been published today.
The Geographic Resources Analysis Support System, commonly referred to
as GRASS GIS, is a Geographic Information System (GIS) used for data
management, image processing, graphics production, spatial modeling,
and visualization of many types of data. It is Free Software released
unter GNU General Public License (GPL).
Platforms supported by GRASS:
GNU/Linux, Sun Solaris, Sun Solaris/Intel, Silicon Graphics Irix, Mac
OSX, MS-Windows NT/2000/XP with Cygnus, HP-UX, DEC-Alpha, PowerPC, AIX,
BSD, CRAY, iPAQ/Linux and other UNIX compliant platforms (32/64bit).
Software download:
http://grass.itc.it , http://grass.ibiblio.org/ and from various mirror
sites. The new source code is available now, and selected binaries will
be published shortly.
Documentation download:
Module documentation is available in different formats: HTML and PDF.
For details on GRASS software capabilities please refer to:
http://grass.itc.it/general.html.
Changes in GRASS 5.0.3:
A NEWS file briefly describes the major changes, the full ChangeLog is
also available.

GRASS 5.0.3 fixes only major bugs. There are no further scheduled
releases in the 5.0.x series. Exception might be made for critical bug
fixes.

The next planned stable release is 5.4.0. The corresponding development
series 5.3.x features substantial improvements in projection
capabilities, visualization ("nviz"), and has several new modules.

Major changes to the vector engine and attribute management system have
been implemented in the 5.7.x line, which will become the next major
production series as 5.8.x.

We are always looking for both testers and developers to help us
maintain and accelerate this development cycle.
GRASS Development Team
Date: Mon, 6 November 2003 (last changed: $Date: 2003/11/11 19:06:33 $) 01:00:00 +0000 (GMT)

------
Scott W. Mitchell		Scott_Mitchell at carleton.ca
Department of Geography and Environmental Studies
Carleton University, B349 Loeb Building (Office A209)
1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON Canada K1S 5B6
+1-613-520-2600 ext 2695 Fax: 1-613-520-4301