[GRASS5] Grass 5 new releases

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Nov 12 04:49:51 EST 2003

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 01:27:00PM -0500, Scott W Mitchell wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Michael Barton wrote:
> > If it would help speed up the release to make it easier for more people
> > to test 5.3, I am happy to make the OSX binaries available for
> > distribution. I can explain how I configured the compilation, and could
> > recompile it if something I did could cause problems for others. I'd
> > probably need a bit of help in how to package up the binaries properly
> > for distribution. Also, I haven't the foggiest idea of how to make the
> > shell script that always seems to accompany binary distributions
>
> I'm interested in helping too.  I made a binary distribution once before,
> and using instructions from Markus, it created that script
> "automatically", so that shouldn't be an issue.  I'll forward you an email
> I have from those days in a minute.  In short, there were two ways:  (1)
> follow the directions in the documentation/release_rules.txt under the
> main source directory, and (2) Markus has a script that he uses to get
> through all the steps in the release_rules... but unless there are new
> developments, this script is not completely portable.  On the other hand,
> it didn't take TOO much modification to make it work for me on my system,
> and it helped make sure I was making binaries the same way as Markus.
>
> The main "problem" with the approach is that it used statically linked
> libraries which meant that the binary distribution was HUGE.  Markus
> recently succeeded to get the CVS version of GRASS to compile with shared
> libraries, if I recall correctly.

If I recall correctly, there was a problem in XDRIVER. So I dropped the
idea as 5.3/5.7 without d.mon/XDRIVER is not quite useful.

>  However, I don't have the information
> on how he managed to do this.  So, much as I hesitate to bother Markus
> with more requests, Markus, if you have more up to date information and/or
> scripts that you could share with us from your OS X adventures, can you
> pass them on so hopefully we can help keep OS X versions built without as much
> intervention from you ?

You can find the magic flags (which took me quite some time to understand
a bit of the MacOSX concept) in GRASS 5.7:

edit aclocal.m4
-> search for "Darwin"
  -> SHLIB_CFLAGS
  -> SHLIB_LD
  etc

These are the relevant flags which you would have to integrate into the 5.3
mk/mid.mk.shlib

I have fixed many places in 5.3/5.7 to make it compile. So that should not
be too complicated any more.

Good luck,

 Markus