[GRASS5] Just some questions

Jens Oberender grass at troja.net
Wed Nov 12 07:46:30 EST 2003

Hi Markus

> Because compilation will still fail on some platforms. Just use
> --enable-shared
>
> > 2. Why is the directory structure in the sources and the installed files
> > that chaotic? (likely it's grown that way)
>
> Is it? The intention was to clean up the structure.
> While
> - 5.3-cvs contains 1.x million lines of code
> - 5.7-cvs "only" contains 450000 lines of code in a rather plain
> structure.
>
> Just post some examples where you don't like the structure (we are open to
> new ideas).

Looks like I were pert and premature with my mail.
I only compiled 5.0.3 and 5.3-snapshot. 5.7-snapshot didn't compile, but I
tried it only once last week.
I didn't look close to the sources of 5.7, only 5.0 and 5.3. My statement
footed on those two. :-(

The 5.7 sources look very clear, but I can't say anything about the the
finish installation.

The problem with building shared (5.0) is, that some stuff isn't build, for
example the man pages aren't created.

> > What about cleaning these things up and using GNU autotools for
> > building.
>
> See this comment:
> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2002-April/009033.html

To fix that problem with building shared I worked my way through the
Makefiles.
And that was very complicating.
My opinion is that the autotools stuff is clearer and more powerful, but I
don't have any experiences with such a huge project as grass.

Perhaps I can help somehow.

Sorry!!!

Jens Oberender