[GRASS5] Just some questions

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Nov 12 06:14:24 EST 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:45:29AM +0100, Jens Oberender wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have just two questions about grass (5.7 as it's the devel path).
>
> 1. Why is grass not build shared as standard and an alternative as static
> version? (likely because it comes from some old ugly system)

Because compilation will still fail on some platforms. Just use
--enable-shared

> 2. Why is the directory structure in the sources and the installed files
> that chaotic? (likely it's grown that way)

Is it? The intention was to clean up the structure.
While
- 5.3-cvs contains 1.x million lines of code
- 5.7-cvs "only" contains 450000 lines of code in a rather plain structure.

Just post some examples where you don't like the structure (we are open to
new ideas).

> What about cleaning these things up and using GNU autotools for building.

See this comment:
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2002-April/009033.html

> I hope you don't kill me now.

Why we should?
But what would you like to be have cleaned?

Markus