[GRASS5] [bug #2232] (grass) FreeBSD configure/build issues in 5.7

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Nov 21 04:46:22 EST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 08:45:12AM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Request Tracker wrote:

[...]
> Whoever ripped SC_CONFIG_CFLAGS appears to have completely changed the
> semantics of $(SHLIB_LD), but only for a few specific platforms. In
> most cases, it's the complete command to link a shared library, but in
> a few cases it's just the switches. Shlib.make assumes that it's just
> the switches. FWIW, $(STLIB_LD) is always the complete command, and
> the comments say:
>
> #       STLIB_LD -      Base command to use for combining object files
> #                       into a static library.
>
> #       SHLIB_LD -      Base command to use for combining object files
> #                       into a shared library.
>
> Note that this hasn't changed since SC_CONFIG_FLAG was introduced in:
>
> 	revision 1.3
> 	date: 2003/08/05 16:13:16;  author: markus;  state: Exp;  lines: +1178 -0
> 	tried to improve Makefile system to also support MacOSX (maybe also helps for IRIX etc). Hope it doesn't break anything
[...]

The basic problem (core of all evil) is that people who don't
know much about Makefile systems (like me) have to solve problems
due to people knowing much about Makefile systems do not want to
join the GRASS 5.7 development...

So far I was unable to find a person to help me with that issues.
Unless somebody helps, it will continue in a "works for me" mode
which currently covers

- GNU/Linux (Mandrake (with RPM), Redhat, etc)
- Mac OSX
- iPAQ/ARM (debian in preparation)
- all of them with static and shared libraries, selectable
  with a single flag.

I have no access to FreeBSD and do not intend to study the glory
details of the Makefile system or a potential better implementation
(seems that I already spent some time to get above working).

[... many good recommendations ...]

Maybe another GRASS developer is willing to sort out the 5.7 Makefile
problems so that those uneducated "developers" like me do not have to
waste more time on it. Less talking about it but solving the problem.
I don't ask all the nice other things to do for 5.7, it's simply
a wish for a stable Makefile which makes everybody happy.

Sorry and thanks

 Markus