[GRASS5] Re: missing mapinfo support

John Gillette JGillette at rfmd.com
Mon Nov 24 08:23:40 EST 2003

It's been a long time since I did this.  I wrote
2 gawk programs to translate mif to Grass ascii
format. See below.  You process the file with the
first and then run the result through the second.

(You may have to manually fiddle with the header)

Also, have you tried the GDAL utility ogr2ogr?
http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/ogr/ogr_utilities.html
I think you should be able to go from
.TAB, .DAT, .MAP, .ID, .IND to shape file
and then do v.in.shape.

John

step1:
BEGIN { RS = "Pline" ; FS = "\n" }

#{ print $0}
{ $2 = ("L" substr($2,2)) }
{ print $2 }
{ for (i=3; i<=NF-1; i++) print "  " $i }

# strip off Pline statement and add "L"