[GRASS5] Leaving

Thierry Laronde tlaronde at polynum.com
Tue Nov 25 06:19:25 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 03:21:06PM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 11:17:11AM +0100, Thierry Laronde wrote:
> > example depends on X and that's all and Motif is a standard ( Motif X11
> > Toolkit (industry standard GUI (IEEE 1295)).
>
> As Glynn explained in another thread,
> Motif is not a nice Free Software player.

Funny enough, what is, today, reproached to OpenMotif is that it
requires the kernel to be an open source one. That is Motif is discarded
because you can't freely run it on not free kernels.

This could be a problem if there were _machines_, architectures with
which open source can not deal with. But this is not the case.

> > The portability problem is now: one has a X machine and STOP! We can
> > provide an OS running on X. And that's all. This OS has not to be
> > installed even on the local storage of the machine (disk) because it can
> > be launched from a CD (see Knoppix) or even more importantly downloaded
> > from the network.
> > If you have a small application, used a couple of minutes every hour,
> > dual booting is not an option. With a complete work environment like
> > GRASS, this is not a problem.
>
> I disagree here.
> My company created a Free Software version of Knoppix (the original
> containts proprietary software). It is nice to experiment with stuff,
> but basically useless on real workplaces.
> For once there is the costs in speed, next you get the problem
> of getting your data in and out, including your configuration.

I don't suggest that such a feature should be the standard. I see it as
a fallback (for example in schools/universities).

For "industry", one has to install the really (whether locally or
remotely via a boot server).

--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde at polynum.org>