[GRASS5] Leaving

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Nov 25 08:03:51 EST 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 12:19:25PM +0100, Thierry Laronde wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 03:21:06PM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 11:17:11AM +0100, Thierry Laronde wrote:
> > > example depends on X and that's all and Motif is a standard ( Motif X11
> > > Toolkit (industry standard GUI (IEEE 1295)).
> >
> > As Glynn explained in another thread,
> > Motif is not a nice Free Software player.
> >

> Funny enough, what is, today, reproached to OpenMotif is that it
> requires the kernel to be an open source one. That is Motif is discarded
> because you can't freely run it on not free kernels.
>
> This could be a problem if there were _machines_, architectures with
> which open source can not deal with. But this is not the case.

This is twisting my argument around ab bit. :)
Motif itself is proprietary software and does not have
an open developer community (of the core software itself).
This is why lesstiff exists.

> > > The portability problem is now: one has a X machine and STOP! We can
> > > provide an OS running on X. And that's all. This OS has not to be
> > > installed even on the local storage of the machine (disk) because it can
> > > be launched from a CD (see Knoppix) or even more importantly downloaded
> > > from the network.
> > > If you have a small application, used a couple of minutes every hour,
> > > dual booting is not an option. With a complete work environment like
> > > GRASS, this is not a problem.
> >
> > I disagree here.
> > My company created a Free Software version of Knoppix (the original
> > containts proprietary software). It is nice to experiment with stuff,
> > but basically useless on real workplaces.
> > For once there is the costs in speed, next you get the problem
> > of getting your data in and out, including your configuration.

> I don't suggest that such a feature should be the standard. I see it as
> a fallback (for example in schools/universities).

> For "industry", one has to install the really (whether locally or
> remotely via a boot server).

But this also means that there is some merit to the portability problem
and you cannot dismiss with a simple argument like that.