[GRASS5] Problems compiling grass51/57 on cygwin

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Thu Oct 2 09:00:58 EDT 2003

Radim Blazek wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 October 2003 17:44, Buchan Milne wrote:
>
>>There seem to be a number of other problems, especially when trying to
>>do a minimal compile ...
>>
>>I had to add $(GISLIB) to EXTRA_LIBS for most of the stuff in lib/db,
>

> I have added $(GISLIB) to dbmi_client, dbmi_driver, stubs, any other?

I have it in dbmi_base and sqlp also, and display/drivers/lib

Additionally, it seems necessary to add the path to GISLIB to db/base

> If you see obvious bug, please fix it directly in CVS, if possible.

I could maybe send patches ... but I don't have cvs access from work
(only from home over dialup) which makes it a bit more difficult.

>>Oh, and shared libraries were being created without extension too ...
>

> SHLIB_SUFFIX  in include/Make/Platform.make is not defined? configure
should
> do that, I think.

No, it's empty, even though "Cygwin environment" is found.

>>And even though I configured without tcltk, lib/form/open.c is wanting
>>to include the X headers inherited from tk.h, and wanting to link to tcl
>>libs.
>

> Tcltk is more or less requirement (v.digit, d.what.vect, db drivers),
> but I agree that libes and modules using that should be compiled
> conditionaly (for non interactive enviroments).

That would be nice, I really only need enough for v.net.path and r.what
and a few similar tools.

>>Similar problems with lib/ogsf/gvd.c and OpenGL ...
>>
>>Maybe someone should try compiling with none of the optional
>>requirements, and see if they are still optional.
>
> But you have already tried, no?

I have X11 and tcltk enabled at present ...

>>I wanted to avoid
>>installing a whole bunch of software on my cygwin installation (which is
>>short on disk space), and was prepared to lose all the features, but it
>>seems I would have been better off repartitioning my system to make more
>>space ...
>
> I would prefer, if you could add conditions to source and Makefiles,
if possible.

OK, I will try ...

The first problem is there is no USE_OPENGL in include/config.h.in, and
with it, configure doesn't do anything useful (#define USE_OPENGL for
instance) with it. I don't have a working autoconf, so haven't been able
to fix configure.in.

So far, only lib/ogsf needs this, I'll probably find some more when I
get back from lunch ...

Finally, I don't know if there are problems with LD_LIBRARY_PATH on
Cygwin, but I needed to add $GISBASE/lib to $PATH in order for the html
doc extraction to work.

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202