[GRASS5] GRASS 5.0.3 release candidate 4 (RC4) available

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Oct 9 10:08:42 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 01:18:18PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 12:54:43PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 11:42:43AM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > > GRASS 5.0.3 release candidate 4 (RC4)
> > >
> > > ... is available for testing:
> > >
> > > http://mpa.itc.it/markus/grass50/
> > >
> > > TODO: - update NEWS.html for the release
> > >       - else?
> >
> > * The automatically created Changelog is missing the removal
> >   of the apngs code (because this was no commit).
> >   I suggest adding a hint manually.
>
> OK, we can do that but it will disappear in the next Changelog.
> Better to use a commit entry.

I'd say in general that it is _not_ a good idea to
let the cvs2changelog script overwrite old entries.
The better changelogs I know are at least controlled manually.

> > * Unfortunately src.nonGPL got partly packaged,
> >   this needs to be removed from the tarball.
>
> Strange:
> cat src.nonGPL/CVS/Tag
> Treleasebranch_26_april_2002_5_0_0
>
> Why is that tagged? Did you tag it (please remove then)?
> I have just updated the tree.

Yes I haven't thought of that the tag got moved, too.
Also I believed that your packaging script might be actively
selecting the needed source, not just packaging everything. :)

Anyway I've removed the subdirectories of src.nonGPL from the branch now.

> > * I'm unsure if we should package all code that actually is not used
> >   in the tarball. We still have it in the CVS.
> >   Like src.garden/grass.java, unused, src.todo and some other stuff
> >   from src.garden and src.contrib.
> >   I suggest to not package them.
>
> It it should be removed from the release branch.

Do you want to do this (for exercise)?

It is easy enough:
	If you have a fully checked out branch, just
	use something like
		cd unused
		cvs remove -f
		cvs commit

> > * It would be good style to create a detached signature for the
> >   tarball in addition to the useful md5sums.
> >   I suggest using Gnupg and a key of Markus as packager for the
> >   time being.
>
> I have no idea how to do that - hints are welcome.

www.gnupg.org has good documentation for gnupg.
Steps (briefly):
	Install an uptodate version of gpg.

	Create a key if you don't have one:
	http://www.gnupg.org/(de)/howtos/de/GPGMiniHowto-3.html#ss3.1
		gpg --gen-key
			(1024 bit is sufficient.)

	Sign a file with a detached signature
		gpg --detach-sign grass-5.0.3rc4_src.tar.gz

	( Later and repeately:
          Get the public key part signed by people to build
	  the web of trust. :) )