[GRASS5] GRASS 5.0.3 release candidate 4 (RC4) available

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Oct 9 10:36:08 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 04:08:42PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 01:18:18PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:

> > > * The automatically created Changelog is missing the removal
> > >   of the apngs code (because this was no commit).
> > >   I suggest adding a hint manually.
> >
> > OK, we can do that but it will disappear in the next Changelog.
> > Better to use a commit entry.
>
> I'd say in general that it is _not_ a good idea to
> let the cvs2changelog script overwrite old entries.
> The better changelogs I know are at least controlled manually.

So you are welcome to do this job :-) I won't do that.
Since 1/2000 the Changlog is created like this, so we
may live with it further on. Note that there is also
NEWS.html which is maintained manually (developers may add
missing entries directly!).

> > > * Unfortunately src.nonGPL got partly packaged,
> > >   this needs to be removed from the tarball.
> >
> > Strange:
> > cat src.nonGPL/CVS/Tag
> > Treleasebranch_26_april_2002_5_0_0
> >
> > Why is that tagged? Did you tag it (please remove then)?
> > I have just updated the tree.
>
> Yes I haven't thought of that the tag got moved, too.
> Also I believed that your packaging script might be actively
> selecting the needed source, not just packaging everything. :)

I am extracting from CVS, adding Changelog (via cvs2cl.pl),
making a tar ball, that's it more or less. There is no magic inside.
If things like src.nonGPL/ are inside, it's a problem of the
release_branch and not an error in packaging.

I think that we want have everything reproducable. So we have to
maintain a *clean* release_branch.

> Anyway I've removed the subdirectories of src.nonGPL from the branch now.

OK, now it's gone.

> > > * I'm unsure if we should package all code that actually is not used
> > >   in the tarball. We still have it in the CVS.
> > >   Like src.garden/grass.java, unused, src.todo and some other stuff
> > >   from src.garden and src.contrib.
> > >   I suggest to not package them.
> >
> > It it should be removed from the release branch.
>
> Do you want to do this (for exercise)?
>
> It is easy enough:
> 	If you have a fully checked out branch, just
> 	use something like
> 		cd unused
> 		cvs remove -f
> 		cvs commit

That's fun :-)
OK, removed

src.todo/
src.garden/grass.hdf/
src.garden/grass.java/

> > > * It would be good style to create a detached signature for the
> > >   tarball in addition to the useful md5sums.
> > >   I suggest using Gnupg and a key of Markus as packager for the
> > >   time being.
> >
> > I have no idea how to do that - hints are welcome.
>
> www.gnupg.org has good documentation for gnupg.
> Steps (briefly):
> 	Install an uptodate version of gpg.
>
> 	Create a key if you don't have one:
> 	http://www.gnupg.org/(de)/howtos/de/GPGMiniHowto-3.html#ss3.1
> 		gpg --gen-key
> 			(1024 bit is sufficient.)
>
> 	Sign a file with a detached signature
> 		gpg --detach-sign grass-5.0.3rc4_src.tar.gz
>

> 	( Later and repeately:
>           Get the public key part signed by people to build
> 	  the web of trust. :) )

I'll see if I get this working (too many things at the same time).

Markus