[GRASS5] 5.7.0

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Oct 22 05:32:17 EDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:10:17AM +0200, Radim Blazek wrote:
> I think, that there is already enough new functionality in 5.7
> for wich users are waiting a long time.

I agree that an experimental release is fine.
The odd minor version number will tell everybody that it is an
experimental release. A release in that 5.7. line certainly
will be a first step towards a stable release then to be called 5.8.x.

> Certainly >= 5.7.0 will never contain all the functionality from 5.0.0.

Well it is an experimental development line,
if we clearly say that in the annoucements,
people have no right to be dissappointed.

> To make 5.7 ready for 5.7.0 release, I want to do this:
> - category index for vectors (to minimise later format changes)
> - disable direct Shapefile and PostGIS support (currently not finished)
> - update some missing modules (not all); I have updated status list of
>   vector/sites modules (grass51/doc/vector/v.modules.html), my intention
>   is to update those with N in third column, however I am not sure about
>   statistical modules for sites (s.normal, s.qcount, s.univar, s.windavg,
>   s.medp, s.probplt,...), are these modules necessary for 5.7.0?
>   You can look at the list (especially N/X/?) and send us your comments.

IMO I don't think src.garden/grass.java/GRASS_libvect.c is worth much effort.

m.in.e00 seems to be worth keeping at a later stage if the effort
of porting is less then adding this to OGR. :)