[GRASS5] mif

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Oct 23 05:54:14 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 09:47:48PM +1300, Hamish wrote:
> > i'm  a newer to grass, anyone can tell me how to import mapinfo
> > format(MIF, MID)to grass(grass5.3)?
>

> v.in.mif exists in 5.0.x and 5.3's source trees, and compiles, but isn't
> built by default. There's probably a reason for that (buggy?).

Here should be the answer:
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2002-June/009794.html

The fixes applied later seem to be related to compiler/portability
issues.

> In GRASS 5.7, --with-gdal, use:
> v.in.ogr
>   http://www.remotesensing.org/ogr/drv_mitab.html
>
> Which probably works quite well.
>
> If you've got 5.3 compiling, you can probably get 5.7 going without too
> much trouble as well. You can then export to a format 5.3 likes or stick
> with 5.7.
> [install GDAL first. http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal]

You could simply download a precompiled version to try it
out (Linux, MacOSX, MS-Windows/Cygwin). Some of these builts are compiled
weekly in an automated way.

Markus