[bug #2180] (grass) Re: [GRASS5] C and C++ compiler changes?

Thierry Laronde tlaronde at polynum.com
Thu Oct 23 09:29:33 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 11:21:15AM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Naive question:
> Should/can add we a test in the (G)makefile and disable certain gcc versions
> to avoid too many "bug" reports?

YMMV. I'm not a compiler guru but I know (by reports and by experiences)
that there are in some cases problems with the new line of gcc. Since
we will be rapidly out of sync with new versions I only suggest to add
in the INSTALL file something like:

Obviously, to compile this package you need an ANSI/ISO C compiler
(with C++ support too). In case you hit some _runtimes_ problem (unusual
core dumps or even crashes) please verify that you are not using a
version of the compiler that is on the experimental leading edge.
For example, for gcc users, at the moment of the redaction,
gcc 2.95.3 is the most stable version.

If you run a more recent version (3.[0-3]) AND you have some strange
runtime problems, you can try to recompile first without any
optimization and perhaps downgrading too your machine's target
(compiling for a i486 when you have a i586 for example), or try a
compilation with gcc-2.95.3. But do it only when a problem occurs, just
in order to help us to identify the origine of the problem

Something like that.

Cheers,
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde at polynum.org>