[GRASS5] Rasterisation problem

Amish K. Munshi amish_munshi at sify.com
Mon Sep 8 17:16:30 EDT 2003

BlankHi,

I would like to represent Indictrans team (http://www.indictrans.org). We
are working on a project for localization of linux in various Indian
languages. We also wish to make use of GRASS for digitizing, analyzing &
processing various geographical data collected from the villages so that
people there may actually use it to get information.

We have few files in jpg format which are scanned images of some maps. We
want to digitize these maps. So we followed following steps:

convert those images to raster files(RGB overlays).

set the color tables of these RGB fies to grey.

When we displayed these 3 files (.1,.2 & .3) as RGB overlays on a monitor we
could only see plain white screen. What was happening was the 3 RGb overlays
which were being created using r.in.gdal were empty.

We also had a prepared a script which we used to use for all this. This
script was working properly before. But now that also doesn't work. I am
attaching that script with this mail.

I am waiting for a reply.

    Thanks in advance.

the GRASS script

echo "Enter the file name to be imported, Must be present in the home
directory";

read FILE_NAME;

if [ -a $FILE_NAME ]

then

echo " FILE EXISTS";

r.in.gdal in=$FILE_NAME out=$FILE_NAME -o

r.colors map=$FILE_NAME.1 col=grey

r.colors map=$FILE_NAME.2 col=grey

r.colors map=$FILE_NAME.3 col=grey

d.mon x0

d.rgb r=$FILE_NAME.1 g=$FILE_NAME.2 b=$FILE_NAME.3

else

echo "FILE NOT PRESENT";

fi