[GRASS5] s.in.garmin

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Apr 1 10:59:41 EST 2004

On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 03:01  AM, grass5-request at grass.itc.it
wrote:

> Looking at 5.3's s.in.garmin, I don't see anything to stop it working
> with 5.7, now that 5.7 has s.in.ascii. It should just work! Just copy
> the script and try. Please report success or failure so it can be added
> to 5.7 if it works or fixed to do so.

I haven't had a chance to try this, though I use Garmins in the field
and will give it a try. I don't know whether or not this is relevant,
but everyone should note that s.in.ascii in GRASS 5.7 is quite
different from s.in.ascii in GRASS 5.3.

In GRASS 5.7, s.in.ascii does not create a GRASS sites list, but a set
of vector points. v.point.in.ascii might be a more accurate name. More
importantly, AFAICT it does not read any attributes beyond the x,y (and
z?) dimensions plus a cat variable. This latter is very important for
using it as a Garmin file import utility. It will import the x,y
locations, but none of the other information in the Garmin file.

Michael Barton
Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
Department of Anthropology
Arizona State University