[GRASS5] new scripts for GRASS 5.7 - png output

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Apr 6 04:10:51 EDT 2004

Michael Barton wrote:

> Anyway I tried it. The interface is great. It appears that it requires
> Ghostscript. I have ghostscript, but had to get my path to its
> nonstandard location set (/sw/bin) before the print module would work.
> The ghostscript and (path adjustment if necessary) needs to be
> specified in the GRASS 5.7 requirements if it is going to be the
> standard way to do printing.

You shouldn't need Ghostscript in order to print to a PostScript
printer. However, you will need it if you wish to view PostScript
files on screen, convert them to other formats (e.g. PDF, or image
formats such as PNG), or print to a non-PostScript printer.

> Second, when I actually tried to print to my printer (using the
> gimpprint/cups/ghostscript output), I got garbage. Perhaps I didn't
> specify it correctly. I left it at lpr thinking it would send to the
> default printer. It did print on my Epson inkjet, but, as I said, it
> was garbage.

The print command (which appears to default to "lpr") needs to accept
a PostScript stream. You may need to use "lpr -P<printer>" to select a
PostScript "printer" (i.e. a virtual printer, which is actually a
Ghostscript command which converts PostScript into a format which your
printer understands).

Start by generating a PostScript file which you can view successfully
using Ghostscript (either directly or via e.g. "gv"). Then figure out
a command which will print that file when it is supplied on stdin.