[GRASS5] new scripts for GRASS 5.7 - png output

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Apr 5 18:31:51 EDT 2004

Radim,

As I mentioned before, I wanted to try this and couldn't find it at
first. After your message, I realized it was the nice printer button on
the right (duh!)

Anyway I tried it. The interface is great. It appears that it requires
Ghostscript. I have ghostscript, but had to get my path to its
nonstandard location set (/sw/bin) before the print module would work.
The ghostscript and (path adjustment if necessary) needs to be
specified in the GRASS 5.7 requirements if it is going to be the
standard way to do printing.

I ran into a couple of problems.

First, when I looked at previews, PDF's, and PNG's created, it only
printed the vectors. The nice raster map under the vectors was ignored.

Second, when I actually tried to print to my printer (using the
gimpprint/cups/ghostscript output), I got garbage. Perhaps I didn't
specify it correctly. I left it at lpr thinking it would send to the
default printer. It did print on my Epson inkjet, but, as I said, it
was garbage.

Michael

On Monday, April 5, 2004, at 02:45  AM, Radim Blazek wrote:

> PNG may be also written from 'Print' dialog in d.m. It does not support
> all d.* commands because it uses ps.map, but supports line width.
>
> Radim

Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
Department of Anthropology
Arizona State University