[GRASS5] Bug report 2 for GRASS 5.7

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Wed Apr 7 11:40:10 EDT 2004

On Monday 05 April 2004 23:50, Michael Barton wrote:
> d.vect.chart
>
> This EDA utility is a great idea (I suggest adding star graphs), but
> something is very wrong. No graphs are drawn. After more than 5 minutes
> there was nothing but constant disk access. All other activities were
> slowed down enormously. I eventually lost 2 Gb disk space, was unable
> to stop the disk activity and had to reboot. I. regained most of the
> disk space, but still seem to have lost 180 Mb.
>
> Bravely, I tried again with smaller file (12 records).
>
> d.vect.chart map=temprank_SA field=1 ctype=pie
> columns=MP_TOOLS,UP_TOOLS,NEOL_TOOLS sizecol=LITHICS size=20 scale=1
> ocolor=black
>
> Again, I had no graphs after 5+ minutes, but was clearly using system
> resources. All other activities (including typing and using a mouse)
> were greatly slowed down.
>
> This time I was prepared. I quit GRASS and X11. Then I checked the
> process viewer. d.vect.chart was still using 5-10% CPU capacity and 33%
>   memory. I killed it (+/- gracefully). THEN, XDRIVER showing as using
> up to 100% CPU capacity, though no memory. XDRIVER wouldn't quit
> gracefully and I had to force quit it. Again lost 1.5 Gb disk space.
> Got it all back this time after a reboot. I assume that the disk space
> is getting tied up in memory swap, though I couldn't find any file
> created or modified during operation that matches this space (checked
> before reboot).
>
> This seems like a very serious problem with a very nice addition to
> GRASS.

No idea, it takes 1m27.863s for 9784 points with 2 columns on my PC.
All my activity is mooving from d.* to qgis.

> g.rename
>
> g.rename works for all map types in GRASS 5.3 and the documentation
> says it works for all types in GRASS 5.7. But when I tried to rename a
> vector, I got the following error:
>
> g.rename vect=roads,roads57
> WARNING: Vectors are not supported by g.rename

Known, not yet done, g.copy+d.remove for now.
I can also append answer for your future report: "g.copy vect= is slow".
Yes, must be optimised, i.e. copy files if native and support copy
table by drivers.

Radim