[GRASS5] v.out.ogr, OVERWRITE=YES

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 7 12:53:28 EDT 2004

Stephan Holl wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> after fiddeling around with v.out.ogr writing to a PostGIS-DB I
> realised, that it is not possible to "update" an existing dataset in
> PostGIS.
> ogr2ogr has the -update-switch, which allows to update
> datasets with the same name (giving aditionally -lco OVERWRITE=YES).
>
> Would it be possible to add this switch also to v.out.ogr to update
> existing datasets in PostGIS?

Folks,

For effective use of OGR, you will need a way of passing user supplied
dataset and layer creation options (-dsco and -lco in ogr2ogr).   Likewise
something similar to the ogr2ogr -update and -append flags would be useful.

> My workaround is exporting to shape and then using ogr2ogr as written
> above, but a straitforward import in PG would be nice too :-)
>
> Thanks for any comments in this.
>
> Cheers
> 	Stephan Holl
>
> btw, are the ogr-driver specific documentations for -lco-parameters in
> ogr2ogr somewhere?

Format driver specific parameters are only documented in the format web pages.

Best regards,