[GRASS5] New tcltkmenu

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sat Apr 17 13:29:17 EDT 2004

Sjors wrote:

> If downloaded the package with the new TclTk menu from Michael Barton at
>
> http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/grass.htm <http://www.public.asu.edu/%7Ecmbarton/grass.htm>
>
> to play around with. I untarred it etc, but the ReadMe.txt is binary
> or something, at least text viewers can't read it.

The README.txt file appearst to be in "Microsoft Unicode" format:

	$ file README.txt
	README.txt: Little-endian UTF-16 Unicode English character data, with very long lines

It's essentially UTF-16, except with a "byte-order mark" (0xfeff) at
the start of the file.

You can convert it to ASCII with:

	dd if=README.txt bs=2 skip=1 | iconv -f UTF-16 -t US-ASCII