[GRASS5] gtkgrass

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Apr 27 15:44:59 EDT 2004

Martin Landa wrote:

> I have one idea - to start working on the new GUI for GRASS based on
> GTK2. What do you think about this?

Personally, I think that GTK would be the best of the available
choices. Primarily because:

1. It is widely used. Most Linux systems will already have it, as will
many other Unix systems. On non-Unix systems (MacOSX doesn't count, as
its official GUI doesn't use X11), it's less obscure than many of the
packages which GRASS requires.

2. The Windows port is pretty good, doesn't require Cygwin, and is
free.

3. It doesn't use C++, which dramatically improves both source and
binary compatibility over toolkits which do.

4. It isn't based upon Tcl, Python, Java, or any similar "fringe"
language.

All of these factors improve the survival chances of a GTK-based
program relative to one which requires that you: install a half-dozen
extra packages which you never needed before, upgrade another
half-dozen libraries to later versions, upgrade gcc, and/or learn to
program in a new language.