[GRASS5] i18n

Adam Radłowski adamr at informatyka.gdansk.pl
Fri Apr 30 02:53:38 EDT 2004

You wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see many attempts of translation of doc, tcl/tk gui , but don't see a
> lot of things lead to term.
>
> Does GRASS community already think about having structure for i18n ? I
> think it could be helpful.
>
> Wha do you think about using PO files for all translation tasks. It
> seems to work great in other project.
>
> Jean-Denis

The i18n theme was in Poland very important, because we use our special
characters (like You in French). I made polish version of GRASS fonts
and utilities to make them (take three last files from
http://wgug.meteo.uni.wroc.pl/pliki.htm). With these utilities You can
make all combinations of ISO (GRASS can use ISO, not UTF) versions of
fonts, of course, french too. I'm developing now HOWTO about using
other, than ASCII 32..126 characters in GRASS monitor and printing. But
in istructions, included with those utilieties, You can read all, what
You need, so You can make french fonts.
There was developed a polish Tcl/Tk GRASS, but it was not so needed, as
fonts.
I think, after developing some of national fonts - it will be very easy
to change GRASS installer (this is normal unix script). I could for
example copy needed fonts after detecting, what LANG value is in the
system. The second - there should be made scripts to generate postscript
with proper fonts. This is easy too. It needs only some time, what I
have not much...:-)
Greetings
Adam