[GRASS5] Re: Cygwin binaries

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Aug 13 07:44:11 EDT 2004

Hello Paul

(cc grass5, for the archive)

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 11:50:30AM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Hello Markus
> I tried installing the Cygwin binaries of 5.3.0 that I prepared last month
> on a new Cygwin installation on a new Windows XP system and they seem to
> be working very well. Tcltkgrass and NVIZ both worked (the working
> NVWISH2.2 binary that Glynn compiled some time ago on Windows 98 is
> included). I also included shared gdal and proj libraries within the grass
> distribution (in the lib directory) and r.in.gdal is working fine.
>
> The binary tar.gz is only 13MB which is a big improvement on the
> statically-compiled versions I feel.

Excellent!

> If you agree I think it should be
> moved on to the main GRASS website in the 5.3 binaries directory and the
> version that is currently there removed.

Done. I have merged your README.grass... with the README in the
server, please verify all at

 http://grass.itc.it/grass53/binary/mswindows_cygwin/

> You could also put a link (e.g.
> just a hard link on the web server) to the xtcltk-8.3.4-CYGWIN.tar.gz file
> (this is currently in the 5.0 binaries directory), which is required for
> Tcltkgrass to work.

Yes, the xtcltk-8.3.4-CYGWIN.tar.gz I have linked into the directory to
avoid that the users have to wander around the site.

> The three files dated 02-July in
> http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_win/ are the ones you
> need.

Fetched, will be on the mirrors in 1-2 days.

> I also feel that the old 5.0.x Cygwin binaries should all be removed, to
> stop people trying to use them and then reporting problems! I know there
> is not a more up-to-date version of the Wingrass_generic version, but with
> Tcltkgrass and NVIZ not working it is not that useful for new servers, and
> nowadays Microsoft even provides a free X-server (in Windows Services for
> Unix) so it is not as relevant as it was before.

I agree. I have moved the 5.0-Windows stuff out of the web into
a local backup directory.

The web site at grass.itc.it now consumes 679MB (so a bit less).

> Let me know what you think,
> Paul