[GRASS5] Re: Cygwin binaries

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 11:21:49 EDT 2004

Hello Markus

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Markus Neteler wrote:

>> You could also put a link (e.g.
>> just a hard link on the web server) to the xtcltk-8.3.4-CYGWIN.tar.gz file
>> (this is currently in the 5.0 binaries directory), which is required for
>> Tcltkgrass to work.
>
> Yes, the xtcltk-8.3.4-CYGWIN.tar.gz I have linked into the directory to
> avoid that the users have to wander around the site.

Thank you for doing this. The package with the man pages in it
(xtcltk-8.3.4-CYGWIN-man.tar.gz) doesn't need to be there so I think you
could remove it to make it simpler; only xtcltk-8.3.4-CYGWIN.tar.gz is
needed.

Also unless you think the WinGRASSinstall.rtf is very useful I would leave
it out as well, as some of the instructions don't apply to this
particular binary distribution (e.g. installing the GDAL dll) and could be
confusing.

I think an up-to-date list of the non-default Cygwin packages that are
required to run GRASS would complete the README nicely. I will try and
compile it when I have some time. It is not that hard to get GRASS running
on Cygwin if you know what to do; the problem is there are so many
conflicting lists of instructions on the web and GRASS mailing lists, so I
think to keep this directory as simple with as few files and essential
instructions as possible is best!

Paul