[GRASS5] question about version numbers

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Aug 17 16:04:46 EDT 2004

Michael Barton wrote:

> On my CVS client it looks like I can give a file a specified new revision
> number, overriding the normal CVS incremental revision assignment. I haven't
> tried it. But if it is possible, do you think it is OK to do this?

I don't really see much point. If you want to identify a distinct
"version" of a particular module, it's better to use a tag.

If you wanted to all of the current tcltkgrass source files to have a
revision of 4.1, you would have to commit all of the files, even those
which haven't changed. Also, the next time someone commits a
particular file, it would become revision 4.2. Unless you re-commit
the entire tcltkgrass source tree every time, the revisions will
quickly become out of sync.

Also, according to the CVS documentation, you can't use this feature
on a branch, only on the trunk.

I don't know of any other project which determines CVS revision
numbers manually.