[GRASS5] New info on openDWG

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Aug 27 01:05:08 EDT 2004

Some months back I brought up the lack of DXF support in GRASS 5.7. The
ensuing discussion pointed out that the best way to support DXF was through
openDWG libraries. But because of licensing concerns with these libraries,
the GRASS module v.in.dwg could not be distributed with the libraries. Any
user needed to join the Open Design Alliance (free as an Associate Member),
download openDWG, put the libraries into v.in.dwg, and compile GRASS with
v.in.dwg.

Last night I looked at the Open Design Alliance (formerly openDWG Alliance)
web site to see what was involved in doing this. To my surprise, their web
site description of Associate Member terms and conditions permitted the
distribution of the libraries in software that is distributed free of
charge. This certainly fits GRASS. However, when I downloaded the form I had
to sign and send them to complete my membership application, it did not
mention that the libraries could be distributed in free-of-charge software.

I thought I'd email someone at Open Design Alliance and ask them to clarify
this. But when I checked the contacts page, I found that the alliance is
headquartered here in the Phoenix area, where I am.

So I called them this morning. I had a good discussion with Aaron Dahlberg,
membership coordinator with the Open Design Alliance. He assured me that the
alliance's intent was only to restrict or control commercial use of their
libraries, not use in educational or free software. I described GRASS and he
felt that--based on my description--this fit their intent to permit openDWG
to be used in non-commercial applications developed by Associate Members. I
encouraged him to visit the GRASS web site and he said he would do so.

I asked him if he could reiterate all this in an email so I'd have it in
writing. He said he had answered similar questions before and would send me
something. I copied it to Markus this morning. This evening, I received my
Open Design Alliance membership and password with another email, from Pat
Smith (another membership coordinator at the alliance), along with further
clarification of the terms and conditions. I include it here.

> Dear New Associate Member :
>
> I have given you access to the DWG files according to the Associate Member
> Agreement.  We allow access to our libraries for research purposes and
> development of free or internally used software only.

Unless there is some catch to the GRASS GPL license that I am missing (quite
possible, I suppose, given my lack of legal expertise), I think we can
distribute openDWG libraries with GRASS as long as we don't sell GRASS
commercially--something prohibited by the GPL license.

I'd like to reopen discussion about whether we can include a functional
v.in.dwg in GRASS 5.7 under these circumstances. In my conversation with the
alliance this morning, Aaron was clear that this was not a problem. I've
included below the complete (longish) text of my email correspondence with
the alliance today.

For those of you are have worked closely with relevant licensing issues,
what do you think?

Michael

____________________
C. Michael Barton, Professor
School of Human Diversity and Social Change
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

Phone: 480-965-6262
Fax: 480-965-7671
www: <www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton>

- - - - emails with ODA start here - - - -