[GRASS5] v.out.ascii: Segmentation fault

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Dec 1 05:32:36 EST 2004

Hamish wrote:

> > > Now I see: It's the "famous" mysterious (to me) Debian problem:
> > >
> > > For some unknown reasons Debian users have to add to
> > > /etc/ld.so.conf
> > >
> > > the directory of the GRASS libs, here:
> > > /usr/local/grass-5.7.cvs/lib
> > >
> > > and run
> > > ldconfig
> > >
> > > I would like to know that solved but have no idea why Debian behaves
> > > like this (reported earlier by other Debian/GRASS users).
>
> As Glynn pointed out a few weeks ago, as a security precaution Debian's
> xterm does not export $LD_LIBRARY_PATH to child processes.

Actually, the loader (ld-linux.so.*) explicitly removes certain
environment variables (including LD_LIBRARY_PATH) when running any
setuid/setgid executable. xterm is often setuid/setgid (although this
isn't strictly necessary with recent versions of glibc).

However, when you start GRASS, the etc/Init.sh script should set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH itself. Any GRASS modules which are run from that
shell should use that setting.

It's primarily an issue for tcltkgrass and d.m, as running
"xterm -e <command>" (i.e. the "term" procedure) will result in the
command being run with LD_LIBRARY_PATH unset.