[GRASS5] floating AI ASCII GRID import

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 22:55:56 EST 2004

> >>It would be nice on both GDAL and OGR to hit a button and get a list
> >>of readable formats. Since GDAL at least generates such a list, this
> >>should be doable.
> >
> > A year ago I added support (locally) to r.in.gdal for a -l flag to
> > list available formats and exit. This was mostly just cut-and-paste
> > C code from 'gdalinfo --formats'. I never put it in CVS, can do if
> > people want. v.in.ogr should be a similar exercise. 'gdal-config
> > --formats' is another flavour.
> >
> > v.in.ogr already has a -l flag for listing available layers.
> >
> > Maybe -f for both? (for "list Formats")
>
> it would be very nice if you could add such a flag,I miss it too.
>   -f looks good to me,

ok, done for both r.in.gdal and v.in.ogr.

r.in.gdal:  code follows GDAL 1.2.5 gcore/gdal_misc.cpp
  Frank is the author of all this code, but this may mix licenses:
  -> I assume this does not constitute a "substantial portion" of
     gdal_misc.cpp and therefore it is ok? Frank?

v.in.ogr:   not sure how to do the read/write check.
  [as these are both reading functions, reporting 'write' support
   doesn't really matter, but is interesting..]

Both modules have non-optional options (eg output=). You have to provide
dummy values to get past the parser. Is there a better way?

Hamish