[GRASS5] 5.7.1

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Dec 3 11:57:26 EST 2004

I know this started out as a s.in.ascii discussion. But it is focused on
GRASS 5.7 and v.in.ascii is the more relevant module to be considering here.

I've imported hundreds of thousands of points using v.in.ascii. I don't have
a time, but I am remembering about 15-30 minutes for about a half-million
points. I'm using a Mac G5 single processor at 1.8 Mhz and 512 Mb RAM. This
is a nice, but not extremely high powered system. While I'd like it to go
faster, I don't think this is too bad.

v.in.ascii can also import sites files. Just use a text editor to get rid of
the # and % characters. I haven't used v.in.sites with enough real data to
get a feel for whether or not it is faster. However, v.in.ascii has more
options for controlling how the sites are to be translated to vector points.

Michael

On 12/3/04 5:06 AM, "Jaro Hofierka" <hofierka at geomodel.sk> wrote:

> Radim Blazek wrote:
>

>> 5.7 is used more by normal users than by developers and they want stable
>> version in their distributions. If 5.7 is slow with large data sets it
>> does not mean that it cannot become stable version. It is ok with me to
>> write in announcement that 6.0 is not suitable for making dems from
>> datasets > ?00000 points.
>
> I don't think hundreds of thousand points are large datasets. They are
> quite common if you do real projects. I routinely work with millions of
> points. This must be fixed otherwise many people (including me) will
> have to stick to 5.4 for a longer time than previously thought.
>
> Jaro
>

> -=x=-
> Skontrolovan� antiv�rov�m programom NOD32

School of Human, Evolution and Social Change
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671