[GRASS5] 5.7.1

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Dec 3 14:17:14 EST 2004

Michael Barton wrote:
> I know this started out as a s.in.ascii discussion. But it is focused on
> GRASS 5.7 and v.in.ascii is the more relevant module to be considering here.

s.in.ascii never had this problem, it is the table creation that is causing it (see below).

> I've imported hundreds of thousands of points using v.in.ascii. I don't have
> a time, but I am remembering about 15-30 minutes for about a half-million
> points. I'm using a Mac G5 single processor at 1.8 Mhz and 512 Mb RAM. This
> is a nice, but not extremely high powered system. While I'd like it to go
> faster, I don't think this is too bad. >
> v.in.ascii can also import sites files. Just use a text editor to get rid of
> the # and % characters. I haven't used v.in.sites with enough real data to
> get a feel for whether or not it is faster. However, v.in.ascii has more
> options for controlling how the sites are to be translated to vector points.

Michael, thanks for the hint - I tried v.in.ascii on the same data set -
with -t option it imported in seconds, without -t it went into swapping and
I had to kill it. So apparently it is the table creation that eats-up the memory.
Radim, can the table creation be done on smaller subsets of the data to avoid the
swapping ? Or maybe there is a simpler solution?

Helena