[GRASS5] data set of world countries unique centroids

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sun Dec 12 09:29:17 EST 2004

(cc Silke)

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 05:53:29PM +0100, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In order to map some of the results of the GRASS Users Survey, I am looking
> for a worldwide set of unique centroids per country. In the current data sets
> I have (all based on the ESRI world map) each country is represented by many
> different polygons, each having its own centroid, but with the same country
> name identifying it. Thus, when I try to use d.vect.chart I get as many
> piecharts per country as there are polygons. I would obviously prefer to have
> only one chart par country.
>
> I know I can "clean" out the data sets I have, but if anyone has a ready-to-go
> free data set of unique centroids per country (or can direct me to a possible
> source), it would save me some work.

Please have a look at the worldmap based on VMAP0 data from
Silke Reimer/Intevation:

 http://www.intevation.de/pipermail/freegis-list/2004-July/001784.html

 ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/misc/freegis/intevation/freegis/worlddata/

Note that she used VMAP0 R3 (a bit old) for V0.1.

There is a newer V0.2 also available, maybe based on a higher version
but the tarball seems to be damaged.

It's on my list to generate a world map based on VMAP R5 (latest).

Markus