[GRASS5] migration from 5.3 to 5.7

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sun Dec 12 09:48:49 EST 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 09:57:36PM -0500, Helena wrote:
> While trying to do my work exclusively in 5.7 (and update/cleanup our
> modules at the same time)
> I am running into various problems/questions etc., and I don't want to
> bother this (or users)
> list with them, so apparently a tutorial "how to go from 5.* to 6.0"
> would be helpful to minimze irrelevant bug reports, complaints about
> missing commands etc.
> .
> I found that Markus is already working on it in WIKI
> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/twiki/bin/view/GRASS/GrassSixTutorial
> - it took me some time to find it so it may be useful to include links to
> this document in

It is not advertised too much yet as I first want to migrate the
old 5.7 tutorial completely to the WIKI, then delete the old
tutorial.

> http://grass.itc.it/grass57/index.html
> http://grass.itc.it/grass57/manuals/html57_user/index.html
> http://grass.itc.it/grass57/tutorial/index.html
> and any other place where people may go to look for it?
> If it is OK, I can add the links.

Probably I should first delete the old tutorial, link the
new one and then (later) extend the new WIKI tutorial?

> Also, it would be extremely useful to have a table that will show which
> commands
> were replaced by which, e.g.
>   5.*            6.0         comments
> g.projinfo    g.proj -p      merge of g.setproj and g.projinfo
> s.surf.rst    v.surf.rst     merge of s.surf.rst and v.surf.rst, works now
> both for contours and point data
>
> unless there is such table already. The best place would be probably in the
> GrassSixTutorial,
> right after getting started - Markus, if you can set such table up, I will
> add as much as I will find and I am sure others will be able to help too.

Yes, such a table is desired.
Note that here relevant stuff is already available:

 http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/grass51/doc/vector/v.modules.html

This table (in 5.7 CVS: doc/vector/v.modules.html ) may be just extended,
I guess..

But: I am currently absolutely out of time.
Since the WIKI is writable to non programmers, this is a nice job
for another contributor.

Markus