[GRASS5] joining GRASS development

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Dec 13 04:09:25 EST 2004

On 12/10/04 10:15 AM, "Benjamin Ducke" <benducke at compuserve.de> wrote:

> > Hello, GRASS developers,
> >
> > I would like to join GRASS 5.7 development officially.

Benjamin,

you are welcome!

> > I feel that to really start with GRASS 5.7 programming, I would need more
> > detailed information on the current vector engine:
> >
> > - where can complete API documentation be found?

If you run in the source code:

 make pdfdocs
or
 make htmldocs

the API docs are generated using doxygen. It's not yet complete:

- the function descritions I have completely merged
- the text chapters of the 5.3 progman are only partially merged
  (required Latex to HTML conversion which is not complicated for
   the texts, just time consuming)

For the latter help is needed, I don't manage to do it the next
months.

> > - which parts of the API are stable and which are still in development or
> > unimplemented?

WYSIWYG - What you see is what you get. For 5.7 things are intended to
be sort of stable now besides bugfixing. As far as I know, no plans for
raster improvements.

> > - is there a short text that could get me started with 5.7 vector programming?

Yep:

 http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/twiki/bin/view/GRASS/GrassProgrammingHowto

 plus above mentioned docs
 plus existing modules (maybe the best way)

Best regards,

 Markus