[GRASS5] current d.vect/symbol code and gcc 2.96

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Dec 13 16:38:52 EST 2004

Benjamin Ducke wrote:
> Markus,
>
> don't waste your time on it. GCC 2.96 is a RedHat special.
> It's a severly broken version of GCC with some last-minute
> patches that was probably never meant for
> productive used -- which did not stop RedHat from including
> it in their distro.
> Use versions 2.95.1 to 2.95.3 if you want to test an older
> generation of GCC.
>
> Cheers,

Benjamin,

the compiler is in use on grass.itc.it (it's actually used by
the cron job building the Saturday's binaries). For various
reasons I stick with that old RH version on that machine (of
course security patched).

So I don't have much choice. And GRASS was working since
2001 completely on this machine - that's why I assume
a bug rather that a compiler problem.

Markus