[GRASS5] collaborator

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 20:49:18 EST 2004

> My name is Jean Samarone and work in the geoprocessing area
> approximately the 7 years, great part of this period using software
> proprietor in the company where work (Brazilian Agricultural Research
> Corporation). I am using of the GRASS since 2003 and have only
> participated of the list of users. I am Bachelor in Computer science
> and would like to contribute more effectively with the project.
> Currently work in the area of artificial intelligence and
> geoprocessing (University Catholic of Pelotas). I have experience in
> programming using language C in Linux environment in the development
> of search engines for web. Still I did not look at development
> manuals, but since now I am the disposal to collaborate.

A good place to start is fixing bugs -- you will get a nice introduction
to many parts of the code that way. :)

http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?q_sort=number&q_reverse=1&q_queue=grass

off the top of my head:
  d.what.vect mostly on OSX
  NVIZ vs tcl 8.4 threading on several Linux flavours
  profile vector points functions to find the bottlenecks & memory leaks

or if you are more interested in learning about new features in 5.7,
this recently posted/updated wiki page lists some tasks that need doing.

http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/twiki/bin/view/GRASS/ModulePortingList

off the top of my head:
  finish r.univar (calc extened statistics)
  port s.cellstats
  finish(?) merge of r.sum, r.mean, et al. into r.statistics
  write db.in.ascii (mostly cut-and-paste of v.in.ascii)
  implement SOLPOS algorithm from r.sunmask into r.sun

submit patches to this mailing list.. it's always a good idea to let
folks know what you are working on so there is no duplication of effort.

there are also several unmaintained TODO files & comments in the code..
grep for them.

thanks,
Hamish