[GRASS5] Some questions about joining GRASS development

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Dec 16 11:09:09 EST 2004

Hello Michael

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Michael Barton wrote:

> approach to this kind of complexity that might be worth considering. I had
> thought that QT might be a very good platform to build this in. However, the
> problems with availability for Windows leaves me a little more hesitant
> about this. I'm not cognizant of alternatives, however.

Any time this was discussed on the list before the consensus was to use
gtk, although some people suggested wxWindows based on Python, but I found
it was very difficult, nearly impossible to install (I gauge my opinion of
packages on small things like it assuming the C++ compiler was the same as
the C compiler with no way to change it, and it didn't inspire confidence!)

Starting from new, Gtk would probably be the best choice.
But everything so far has been built on top of something else, i.e. the
existing Tcl/Tk interface or QGIS which was already using Qt. So for
historical reasons a non-optimal windowing toolkit has been used.

Paul