[GRASS5] GRASS extension manager proposal

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Dec 16 15:56:21 EST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Benjamin Ducke wrote:

> OK, it seems everybody agrees that it is a good idea.
> I will try and write a small g.install prototype
> (that would also include the management of binary
> and script installations)

I think rather than having pre-compiled binaries for lots of different
platforms sitting around somewhere, g.install should just download the
source code from somewhere and compile it on the target machine. With the
shared libraries now included with GRASS, I believe the only extra thing
needed for this to be possible is to include all the GRASS header files in
the binary distributions (so people can compile extra modules without
having to download the whole GRASS source distribution).

Paul