[GRASS5] [bug #2544] (grass) grass libs built with paths to source tree, not install dir

William K woklist at charter.net
Sat Dec 18 13:45:27 EST 2004

After a bit of fiddling around, here is my current suggestion (I found
the grass version strings, and recents changes fixed the missing
cuserid problem):

	    SHLIB_CFLAGS="-fno-common"
	    SHLIB_LD="cc -dynamiclib -flat_namespace -compatibility_version
\${GRASS_VERSION_MAJOR}.\${GRASS_VERSION_MINOR} -current_version
\${GRASS_VERSION_MAJOR}.\${GRASS_VERSION_MINOR} -install_name
\${LIB_RUNTIME_DIR}/lib\${LIB_NAME}\${SHLIB_SUFFIX}"

As long as the version strings are numbers this will work.  dylib
versions can take a third number, but I left out GRASS_VERSION_RELEASE
since it's 'cvs' right now.  If there was a third number it would be
something like compatibility version = major.minor and current =
major.minor.release.

My previous different SHLIB_LD's for Mac OS 10.2 and 10.3 can be
ignored.

And, just to get it into the bug thread, while on linux embedding the
path into the lib is bad (I'll take your word on that), on Mac OS X
it's pretty much standard and possibly a requirement (since by default
the linker embeds the build path, not the install path or none at all).
  (Tho that does cause occassional build glitches when updating
something.)

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at charter.net>
http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect