[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:5192] Continuing Monitor Problems in Mac OS X 10.3.7 and Apple X11

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Dec 20 13:53:30 EST 2004

Paul,

I hate to ask you to do this again, but here goes. Please excuse if some of
these steps see overly simplistic.

1. Do you have Apple's x11 installed and running well? You should be able to
run the x11 app and get an x terminal. If you have an x terminal, you should
be able to further test it by running the program xeyes. Just type this into
the terminal and you should get a pair of cute eyes following your cursor
around. If not, you need to get x11 installed and running correctly.

2. Assuming that x11 was installed correctly, you should get rid of the
.grassrc6 file in your home folder. You will have to do this from the
terminal. Open a terminal window and type:

mv .grassrc6 old.grassrc6

This simply renames it to old.grassrc6 in case you want it back.

3. Download and install the current version of Lorenzo Moretti's grasslib
package. This gets you the newest libraries and gdal.

4. Download install the newest version of GRASS 57 cvs (18 December). I just
posted it to my mirror here in Arizona. It fixes a couple of annoying bugs
that appeared over the past week and were subsequently fixed in the CVS.

5. Make sure that you don't have other, earlier versions of grass 57 stashed
somewhere on your computer (e.g., in /usr/local/)

6. I'd also check to see whether or not you have any old versions of gdal
and proj4 installed in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib. You can check from
the finder by picking the 'go to folder' selection under the 'go' menu and
typing in /usr/local. Look for anything in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib
with gdal, libgdal, proj, or libproj in it. Get rid of these.

7. Start GRASS 57 cvs from the icon in the /Applications/grass/ folder. You
will have to re-specify your grass database folder, location, and mapset.

I hope this helps.

Michael

On 12/19/04 2:55 PM, "Paul Shapley" <p.shapley at fsmail.net> wrote:

> I posted a problem recently about displaying a monitor in the most recent
> version of Grass 5.7cvs 041213b on Mac OS X (10.3.7). The list responded with
> many suggestions about re-installing all which i have considered and tried
> (ref: No Display! on Dec 12th).
>
> I am still unable to get a display after four attempts at removal and
> re-installation and keep getting the same error:
>
> When i use 'display' > 'start display' > x0
>
> 'No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>
> Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
> No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>'
>
> or when attempting to add a raster from the 'spearfish' data
>
> child process exited abnormally
> child process exited abnormally
>     while executing
> "exec d.mon start=x0 >@stdout 2>@stdout"
>     ("eval" body line 1)
>     invoked from within
> "eval "exec $cmd >@stdout 2>@stdout""
>     (procedure "Dm::execute" line 12)
>     invoked from within
> "Dm::execute "d.mon start=x0""
>     (procedure "Dm::monitor" line 9)
>     invoked from within
> "Dm::monitor"
>     (procedure "Dm::display" line 3)
>     invoked from within
> "Dm::display"
>     (procedure "Dm::displayall" line 6)
>     invoked from within
> "Dm::displayall"
>     ("uplevel" body line 1)
>     invoked from within
> "uplevel \#0 $cmd"
>     (procedure "Button::_release" line 18)
>     invoked from within
> "Button::_release .mainframe.topf.tb0.bbox1.b1"
>     (command bound to event)
>
> I'd love to be able to assess the capabilities of Grass if only i could
> display some information!!,

School of Human, Evolution and Social Change
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671