[GRASS5] [bug #2871] (grass) no float on v.buffer

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Mon Dec 27 03:02:03 EST 2004

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2871

Subject: no float on v.buffer

Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
grass binary for platform: Downloaded precompiled Binaries
GRASS Version: 5.7.cvs

My name is Michael O'Donovan

I have extensively used vector and raster images imported into GRASS (lat, lon projection, datum -default WGS84 and SAD69 ellipsoid with a resolution of 00:00:30). I am unable to make buffers around point areas that are not integer multiples of degress. i.e. there is no floating point for v.buffer.

Any number enetered is rounded down to the nearest integer (0.999 gives a radius of 0 degrees and 1.9 gives a radius of 1). To correct this I have entered the distance as 0.X, 00:XX, 00:XX:00, 0dXm etc. in all of these only the figures receding the punctuation is used.

At a sub-continental scale buffers of less than 1 degree radius are not of much use. A related problem is that measuring the distance between points always results in GRASS returning "0.000 meters".